August 15 2016
ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) have been hot topics for the last couple of decades. ADD and ADHD are classified as mental disorders typically found in children that make it difficult for them to concentrate or behave appropriately, especially in class or classroom-like environments. Symptoms for ADD or ADHD are usually found during childhood and can last during teen years and even into adulthood in some cases.
Some of the signs and symptoms for diagnosing someone with ADD or ADHD include:
- Unusual amounts of physical energy to the point of hyperactivity. Many kids with ADHD tend to “fidget” or move around a fair bit during class or in many situations where they are required to sit still and pay attention for long periods of time.
- Trouble paying attention or staying focused. This sign can range from frequent daydreaming or “zoning out” during class or can also show through fits of hyperactivity.
- Poor impulse control. Children with ADD or ADHD tend to have more difficulty with self-control and thinking about the consequences that can follow actions.
- Has trouble with organization and paying attention to details
- Being easily distracted or often “has their head in the clouds”.
- Talks excessively (this is more common in ADHD)
Many parents turn to different types of pharmaceutical medications to help their children with these disorders. These medications, while proven to be useful have also been proven to have undesirable side effects such as dry mouth, sleep problems and reduced appetite to name a few. This is why many parents these days are trying to find natural alternatives to help reduce the symptoms of ADD and ADHD or at least to help reduce the side effects of the medication prescribed. This is why many parents and adults who have ADD or ADHD are turning to natural supplements!
Omega-3’s have been proven as very useful in nourishing the brain and helping improve overall cognitive function in both children and adults, especially when combined with a vitamin B complex to help relax and revitalize the nervous system and for adults with ADD or ADHD ginkgo biloba could be a great addition to either/both of those supplement options since it improves circulation in the brain and improves concentration and memory. Taking supplements like these, along with a healthy diet consisting of natural, healthy foods low in refined sugars, sweeteners or stimulants and regular physical activity as opposed to frequently staring at a screen, school will ultimately become much more manageable.