December 14 2016
If you are interested in natural health, you have probably heard of these things called essential oils. Essential oils are natural oils that are obtained through distillation and have the characteristic scent and health benefits of the source it was distilled from. Essential oils generally come from plants, whether it’s from a flower, stalk, leaves, bark or even sap from a plant, it is a liquefied form of that source’s essence. Typically, essential oils are used in aromatherapy. What is aromatherapy? Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils and other aromatic sources in order to positively alter ones mood, cognitive state and overall physical well-being. This method of physical therapy has been used for centuries throughout the world and is more or less synonymous with plant based natural medicine. Essential oils are typically used to create mood enhancing ambiances usually through diffusion, it is used topically for cosmetic purposes and it can also be used for certain types of ailments. There are literally hundreds of different types of essential oils and each one has its own use, whether it is medicinal or just because it smells pleasant.
Essential oils benefit those who are more sensitive towards taking certain types of medicines for less emergency type of illnesses such as headaches, colds, coughs, cramps, dizziness, stress, many types of skin problems and so on. They can even be used in making cosmetics and toiletries and be used to disinfect, clean and add a nice smell to your home. Here are five well known essential oils and their primary uses:
- Lavender: Used primarily to help alleviate anxiety and overall tension and insomnia. This essential oil can also be used for skin irritation, rashes and bruises. It is best used either in a diffuser or used topically with a plant based oil as a base.
- Tea Tree: This oil is usually used topically to help eliminate skin fungi and blemishes. It can also be put in shampoo to help treat lice. It is best used when dabbed onto affected skin.
- Oregano: This oil is typically used orally to help combat colds, coughs and throat infections. It has anti-bacterial properties for oral and external use. Oregano oil can also be used on injuries to disinfect them.
- Eucalyptus: If you suffer from allergies or if you get frequent congestion, colds and flus, this might be the perfect essential oil for you to have around the house. If you suffer from allergies or if you get frequent congestion, colds and flus, this might be the perfect essential oil for you to have either for your diffuser or to use topically. It is also used to help muscle tension when used with another oil or cream as a base.
- Lemon: Lemon oil is fantastic for treating acne on oily skin, simply dab it on the affected area with a cotton swab. It also helps to increase focus when diffused in the home.
This is just to name a couple of essential oils out of literally hundreds, each with multiple uses and benefits. You can mix them to make your own concoctions for your health and/or beauty and help yourself towards feeling and looking better without having to swallow a single pill.